South Puget Sound Community College Foundation is proud to be able to offer hundreds of scholarships to a diverse and talented population of students attending our college.
We are incredibly lucky to have such wonderful donors. When a donation is made to our college, those donors are investing their money in your future. What an honor!
Applications will be open September 22nd and are due October 13, 2014. Foundation Scholarships applications can only be submitted through our online application process. Those who are selected for scholarships will have funding available starting WINTER quarter 2015. Please note, that preference is given to those students who have not received a scholarship for 2014-15 academic year.
If You Want a Scholarship - Read All the Instructions Carefully
1. The SPSCC Foundation Scholarship Application is due no later than October 13, 2014. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
2. Start your scholarship application through the online system Academic Works. You will need to:
- Sign UP at http://spscc.academicworks.com
- Click the top right button “Sign Up”
- You will receive a confirmation email to activate your account. If you do not receive it within a couple of minutes, be sure to check your “Junk Mail” folder and move it to your “Inbox”.
- Confirm your account and begin completing your application.
- You will have the ability to save your work and return to update it at a later time.
3. Only ONE application is required for you to be considered for the majority of our foundation scholarships.
- In addition to general scholarships, you can also apply for SPECIFIC scholarships. Once you have completed your application, view “recommended opportunities”. This will prompt you to attach additional documentation to be considered for specific scholarships.
4. You will be required to upload documentation. To be considered for any scholarship you must upload: essay, 2 letters of recommendation, and transcripts.
- All uploaded documents need to be in Word, PDF or JPEG Format. We are unable to open MAC supported files.
- You will need to scan the required attachments to a thumb drive, flash drive or directly to your computer so that you can upload the documents to your application as prompted.
- If you do not have a scanner, this technology is available at the SPSCC Computer Lab, SPSCC Library and the SPSCC Bookstore. Your local school or library may also have scanner ability. For a fee, you can access Office Depot and FedEx/Kinko’s. Please see sidebar for more details on some of the resources.
5. Once you submit your application, you will be able to go in and make changes up to the due date. After October 13, 2014 no additional changes will be accepted.
What Happens Now?
Each completed application will be reviewed and scored by more than one reviewer. These scores are then averaged and the students with the highest scores will be matched to the most appropriate scholarships. For example: Automotive students with Automotive Scholarships, and so on.
People that read and score applications are: faculty members, staff members, Foundation Board members, and representatives from the community. Each application is secure and confidentiality is of the upmost importance. To maintain confidentiality students are not invited to be a part of the Reading and Scoring Committee.
- Once all applications are read and scored, each student will be notified of the result of their application. These notices generally go out late October.
- Each scholarship recipient will also have the opportunity to meet their donor at the Scholarship Reception in November.
- 2014-2015 Fall Foundation Scholarship cycle may be applied to tuition beginning Winter quarter 2015 and funds must be used by June 30th, 2015.
- Running Start Students are not eligible. For information regarding book/ tuition resources for Running Start contact the Advising Center at .
- Students who received Renewable Scholarship last year, still have to apply to receive that scholarship for the 2014-2015 year. If you do not apply, we will assume you plan not to attend in 14-15 and reaward your scholarship.
- The goal of the Foundation Scholarship is to help as many people as possible. As such, only in rare instances will a student receive more than one scholarship.
- The average scholarship is $1,000.
- Preference is given to those students who have not received a scholarship for 2013-14 academic year.
- Foundation Scholarships are intended to pay TUITION AND FEES. Scholarship funds are not disbursed in a check.
- Students are encouraged to apply for both Financial Aid and Scholarships. Financial Aid must take into consideration scholarship funding, but it doesn’t necessarily reduce your grants. If Financial Aid does have to reduce an award to avoid an overpayment, we first review loan and then work-study before adjusting any grants. However, each student’s award and eligibility is different.