Understanding Washington State Residency

Top 5 Questions

  1. How do I get residency in Washington?
  2. Where is the Residence Questionnaire application?
  3. I am a Washington resident, but went to school out of state. What do I do?
  4. When is the deadline to submit the application?
  5. How much is in-state tuition?


In order for South Puget Sound Community College students to be considered residents for tuition purposes, they first must be able to prove that they are U.S. citizens, have U.S. permanent resident cards, or have a qualifying visa (A, E, G, H1, I, K or L).

To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington, primarily for purposes other than education, for a period of one year immediately prior to their classification as residents. All residency applications or requests must be received by Enrollment Services within the first thirty days of the quarter to be considered for that quarter.

Residency Guideline Sources

Washington state residency guidelines are outlined in legislation. For a more detailed explanation of residence classification, please use the following links to read the relevant Revised Code of Washington and Washington Administrative Code:


Enrollment Services
One-Stop Building 22
Phone: 360-596-5241
Fax: 360-596-5709


Fall, Winter, Spring
Mon & Tues 7:30am - 6:30pm
Wed 7:30am - 2:30pm
Thurs 7:30am - 6:30pm
Fri 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mon & Tues 7:30am - 6:30pm
Wed 7:30am - 2:30pm
Thurs 7:30am - 6:30pm
Closed on Fridays

Submit Information:

The Residency Questionnaire and supporting documentation should be submitted in person to Enrollment Services in the One-Stop in Building 22. Bring original documents. Copies made by students are not acceptable.