House Bill 1487
Effective Autumn Quarter, 2009 the following visa types (including their spouses and dependents) have been added to the WAC and RCW as qualifying visas who may be eligible to pay in-state tuition:
H1, E3, and L
If you currently hold one of these visas, and have applied for the visa for at least 12 months prior to the quarter of application, you may apply for residency as any other independent student for tuition purposes. Please refer to the residency requirement link. After reviewing the rules and regulations, please fill out a Residence Questionnaire, and submit it to our office with the proper documentation.
In order to apply as a resident for tuition purposes based on your spouse working in Washington, the student must submit the following:
* Note - because you are married, you are considered "financially independent" for Section 2 on page 1.
In order to apply as a resident for tuition purposes based on your parent working in Washington, the student must submit the following:
- Residence Questionnaire page 1 filled out by student, page 2 filled out by your parent
- proof your parent has been domiciled in Washington for 12 months
- your dependent visa
- your parent's working visa
- proof of your parent working in the state for 12 months
- your parent's tax return showing you as a dependent