IBEST – Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training for Beginning Automotive Technician Certificate
IBEST is a program that supports students who qualify for ABE or ESL classes and are working toward the Beginning Automotive Technician Certificate. The certificate takes up to three quarters to complete.
- Students go to college classes that have two instructors: a content instructor, and a basic skills instructor.
- The basic skills instructor is in the automotive class 50% of the time.
- IBEST support is offered in AUTO 111, AUTO 118 and AUTO 119.
The Beginning Automotive Technician Certificate leads to work in basic automotive maintenance including basic electrical, and fuel systems. At the end of the program, students are prepared to enter the workforce or continue their education toward an Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS).
Upon successful completion
- Earn a Beginning Automotive Technology Certificate (37 credits + pre college Reading, English and Math as needed) and enter the workforce (starting salary in Thurston County ranges up to 20.70 per hour)
- Eligible for entrance into the Intermediate Automotive Technician program (32 credits).
- Eligible for ABE or ESL level classes.
- CASAS ABE levels 4 and above in Reading, or ESL levels 5 and 6.
- Interest in Automotive Technology training
For more information contact Angela Holley, Adult Learner Transition Specialist, by email or phone: (360) 754-7711 ext. 3366
The Financial Aid Office can work with you to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) form. Federal funding is available to students based on economic need. South Puget Sound Community College also has the Opportunity Grant for eligible IBEST students that can offer funding a little more quickly than federal funds and get you started sooner.
Procedure for entrance into the program
Contact Angela Holley to get more information and set up an interview.
|Curriculum||Beginning Automotive Technician Certificate
|AUTO 100||Introduction to Automotive Technology (evening only)||5|
|AUTO 111||(IBEST SUPPORTED) Automotive Fuels and Electrical Systems||16|
|AUTO 118||(IBEST SUPPORTED) Automotive Electrical/Electronics||8|
|AUTO 119||(IBEST SUPPORTED) Automotive Fuel Systems||8|
|Total College Credits =||37|
|Resident (per quarter average for 12 credits)||$1,174.38|
|Non-Resident (per quarter average for 12 credits)||$1,305.76|
|Books (per quarter average)||$300.00|
Supplies: Information provided upon program entry.